i opened my email this morning to some very adamant demands for sweet pea and beans love. and i realized that my life has been consumed by precious for just over a week now. so i just have to say these last few words about the movie, until there's something else to say...
for our office, one of the bigger moments of this film making process was to be included in the thursday night premier of precious at the starz denver film festival. apparently it was the biggest opening night showing they have ever had. 2200 people in attendance. sold out show. hometown audience rooting for the producers. there are some very nice, proud, feelings amongst my coworkers and our employer who had the foresight to produce and fund this independent film despite the pitfalls and naysayers. they were on set filming in harlem every night. they just had this crazy drive that none of us even understood until i watched them introduce the film with tears in their eyes. there's a lot of buzz which puts it on an entirely different level than anyone ever anticipated (today's wall street journal article, gabby on conan). but getting the word out about child abuse is all that really matters...right?
the subject matter is what is really important to me. that we all have or know or are a precious. over 10 years ago, i met my precious when she was 12. we have been on a roller coaster ride since. child abuse is a never ending battle. and because of her (although i would have been this way regardless) i am a staunch advocate of children's rights. i will never stop fighting for a child's voice to be heard. i will never forget how abuse changed her life. so, as uncomfortable as the subject matter of this film is...whether you think this type of movie is your thing or not. you must see it. you must do something. there is no better time than now to help a child.
i am part of a great organization called Advocates for Children. they are a branch of the larger, national organization called CASA. do what you can to be a voice for a child. be it donating your time or money. don't sit idly by while these types of injustices to children go on. this movie - precious - reminded me how you cannot let up. you have to keep trying. you have to educate. you have to participate in the process of change. i am so thankful to have been raised and to raise my children not in a perfect home, but a loving home. there is nothing better than childhood innocence. nothing. all children deserve it. that's it. i just needed to tell you. it's one of the most important things to me.
Amen to that Meghan - it is a world wide problem and sometimes beyond comprehension. It is so good to know that people are willing to make movies like this, raising awareness and activating people. I will watch for it opening in New Zealand. You and the gals look very glam.
ReplyDeletelove your huge, caring, loving and kind heart, megs!!
ReplyDeleteSold! I have heard so much buzz about the movie and I HEART indie films, but I was worried that I wouldn't be able to stomach the subject matter. The older I get, the more I have trouble watching movies or reading books where children are harmed. You're right though - it is reality. I cannot wait to see this film and I hope it really, really changes some hearts.
ReplyDeleteI hope I can muster the courage to see it. I'm afraid I may fall to pieces.
ReplyDeleteit's not an easy film to watch. at all. but the message is of value, i think.
ReplyDeleteHaving lived it, I don't know that I can do it without nightmares.
ReplyDeletejen...i want to say that the movie ends with hope. i don't know what your experience was or where you are in your journey, but i think it would be hard for someone to watch the movie after surviving similar experiences. you are a survivor. you don't need the movie to tell you how important fighting abuse is. i'm glad you shared your fear...i would hate for you to relive the nightmare either.
ReplyDeleteOK, I found this (again, it seems?) But still, I need to know more. I'm enthralled.
ReplyDelete